'Work smarter not harder' - James Green

 Attempting to narrow down the areas in which I could write my literature review and my proposal, and getting myself in a 'tizz'. My practice is transdisciplinary and I've found myself trying to choose topics that encompassed all of the areas of my  practice, which is near on impossible. 

I was going round in circles trying to figure out which areas was the most important, the most interesting, had the most data, didn't have enough data, what was going to impact my career the most now, in the future, what area was going to be the most beneficial overall, how would these areas work in terms of practical research, it went on and on and on. I noticed I was spiraling and rather than continue to fall down the well, I stopped myself and asked around me for support. Two pieces of advise stuck out to me; 


1) You're just trying to pass the module. Try not to think past that. 

2) Don't try to reinvent the wheel. (this was also in my handbook). 

3) Work smarter not harder. 


The third stuck out to me the most because by this point I had narrowed the areas down into two sections; Dance Activism and Performing Arts in State Education. 

I already know from the previous module that data and articles on state education was plentiful. And trying to find anything on the publics attitudes towards dance and it's importance in society, dancers work rights, how dancer's viewed the importance of their own craft was all minimal. But because I had a personal attachment to developing the dance industry for the better (being a working dancer myself) I felt I had a duty to work harder, and try and complete what felt like 'the impossible' in order to contribute to the bettering the working environment for myself and fellow performers. 

Ultimately, we're not there yet Maebh, jumping the gun a bit love. Stick to your lane, get the work done and in time, the industry will develop too. 

Comments

Popular Posts