Brainstorming Artefact Ideas

 As part of my final module on the BAPP course I am tasked with creating another artefact that reflects what I see as the progression of my practice. 

In the first module, I used this as an opportunity to awaken my creative ability, as I found the older I was getting, the less chance I was having to do this. I created a 'sort of' mini portfolio, in which I mapped out various areas of experiences, influences and issues in the commercial dance industry that contributed to how I envisioned my practice. I used a range of sources and media to complete this, and it did turn out to be a great creative outlet for me. The experience also bought feelings of nostalgia, as the task itself was an activity I completed throughout my Art GCSE, but also because I found myself often 'looking back' in order to pinpoint where my practice was at that time. The Artefact overall, did become much bigger than I initially planned however, taking up more time and energy than I would have liked. I think this was because I either underestimated the various 'factors' or 'parts' of my practice I wanted to discuss, or overestimated my ability to communicate and share these factors. 

As I begin now to brainstorm ideas for the module three artefact, this is an important lesson that I am already conscious of, ahead of selecting what to produce. I want the majority of my time and focus to be directed towards my inquiry. Whilst I know all areas of my portfolio are important, learning to prioritise both for the BAPP, but also in life, has been a vital lesson for me. What I would like to avoid is spreading myself too thin, or putting too much time into the Artefact, and not being able to effectively present my inquiry. 

I do however, find it difficult to outweigh my expectations and what I can realistically achieve. For example, I find myself always wanting to do the most, and when I plan, I believe this is attainable, but in practice I often feel overwhelmed and that I have 'bitten off more than I can chew'. Still, I struggle to find that balance. 

I think making better use of my network around me, particularly my supervisor, who probably hears this issue several times a week, will allow me to hear whether my expectations are too high for myself, or perhaps that I am just doing 'too much', considering the time available.  

Comments

Popular Posts