Phoenix Dance Company

 I've recently been on the hunt for articles as part of my second literature review for my final module. Despite not confirming the themes of my thematic analysis yet, I wanted to start looking to get ahead, and once I know the prominent themes, I can narrow down more specific articles. 

As the search is still in it's early stages, I allow myself the freedom to explore different media forms to collect information. I often find this sparks interest in areas I may not have considered yet, and I can then explore academic literature relating to this. 

For example, I can't retrace the exact steps I took to find out about the Phoenix Dance Company, but through researching Dane Hurst, a current Artistic Director of the company, I became really interested in the companies origins. This led me to finding a early documentary, Forming The Phoenix (Youtube, October 2016), in which the original creators: David Hamilton, Donald Edwards and Vilmore James explain how the company came to be through a mixture of interviews, reenactments and dance. Combining their individual styles, strengths and cultural influences, the output is an engaging and very 'current' form of contemporary dance, considering it's establishment in the eighties. 

I was immediately interested in how this company formed despite the barriers and restrictions of the time. Four young, black men, from underprivileged backgrounds, in one of the poorest areas of the UK at the time, were able to engage an audience in contemporary dance, and grow the company to what it is today. The company embarks on various national and international tours reaching audiences of twenty thousand people, and continues to be one of the longest standing contemporary companies outside of London. 

From finding this small gem of a self funded documentary, I have since researched the company and found it also runs a 'Schools and Youth Dance Provision' which works hard to promote the access to dance through education programmes and performance opportunities for children and young adults, particularly in the Leeds area. Something I find inspiring, as well as motivation to provide something similar to my local area as well as on a national scale. 

This research may not perhaps relate directly to my enquiry, however it's the freedom of the BAPP course, and the independence to explore the areas of MY practice that enable this valuable discoveries. In finding the Phoenix Dance Company, it has at least, provided me with a sense of confidence that something like this, to support young people in the performing arts is possible and if I chose to, I could model something similar to this at some stage of my career. For now, I have used this as an opportunity to reach out to the company, to expand my professional network and to enquire about any freelance or internship opportunities they may have either with their company, or one of their many youth projects. 


Phoenix Dance Company : https://www.phoenixdancetheatre.co.uk/ 

Forming the Phoenix Documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8zUd3NXMvw 

Comments

Popular Posts